Prolific critters!!

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
So I went to Arizona for two weeks. When I got back, the fishsitter had overfed my tanks. I've got tons of Briggs snails (Mysteries) I'm growing out, and they had like doubled in size. Which would be great, but my water was LITERALLY green and smelled HORRIBLE because they'd been overfed so bad, so their shells look a little dirty. So I did some huge water changes to get them back to good, and went online to sell a bunch of the snails. Was going to post here, but wasn't sure how many I'd have left. Then I went to F4U to talk about selling some to them... Got home and was like, "Well, at least I know my snail numbers will be back to a manageable level soon..."

Anddddddd then I noticed my Corys breeding. Hahaha! Oh, man. I thought they were all females!! They are all so chubby! Guess they need to go on a diet. Figured they'd eat the eggs because I didn't have another tank to put the parents in afterward, but got up this morning and there are over 75 eggs that I can see on the glass and plants, as well as a bunch scattered in the substrate. Sooooo I guess I'm setting up another tank today to play musical fish, to get the Betta and parents out of there. So fingers crossed that they hatch, but at the same time... Good lord, what am I going to do with that many baby Corys? I reallllly miss my big tanks!

Anyone else got breeding going on in their tanks?

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I'm not breeding any fish, but I got two baby frontosas from Fish 4 U at the end of March, and I think they've doubled in size. I also picked up a 180 gallon about a month ago, and I plan to eventually get a Jardini Arowana, but I have to build a stand for the tank first.

Last edited:

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I'm not big on the silver Arowanas, but I saw a few recently that were different colors that I thought were super cool!

I'm not doing anything special for these Sterba eggs. I just don't have the growout space, so I'm letting nature take its course. No Methylene, no removal from the tank they were laid in, and if they hatch, they'll be raised on crushed food, no special live or liquid stuff. So far, the Betta and parents have left the eggs alone, but I'm going to move all the adults into a new tank probably today or tomorrow, so that if any of the babies DO hatch, they won't get immediately eaten (the Betta is one of the calmest I've ever had, but I'd like to give them a fighting chance if they make it that far).

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I wonder if you can still get them. Apparently there's a local store that sells Apple snails as well, even though they're illegal? Then of course you'd have to keep your secret a secret, and what's the point in having something really cool if you can't share it?

CarpCharacin

Cyprinus carpio
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I have seen posts about people seeing them for sale in fish stores, but you can get in big trouble for keeping them illegally. And you're right, what's the point of having a fish you can't post about. I'm going to get a Jardini Arowana, they aren't as colorful as the Asian Arowanas, but they are still cool.

SilverFlame819

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I think most fish people are too excited about their hobby to keep a secret like that. At some point, you'd be like, "LOOK AT THIS!" to the wrong person, and the po-po would be knocking at your door the next day. *lol*