Quarantine tanks

Discussion in 'Aquatic Health/Diseases' started by Cranky Old Fishkeeper, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

Cranky Old Fishkeeper Neon tetra Member

In my opinion, one of the best investments any serious fishkeeper can make.

Several times in my early years in the hobby, i rushed out and bought fishes that i put directly into a show tank, and that proved to be a serious mistake, because many times fishes at your local LFS are already carrying diseases, and just dont show the signs yet, A QT tank can save you lots of headaches, by being able to house any new fishes in a tank away from you main tanks for a few weeks and treat any disease there instead of try to treat in your show tanks, which can upset the balance of your existing setups.

So please go out, spend a couple of bucks on a little 20-30 gal. tank, set up bare bones, and treat any and all new arrivals before they cause an issue.

[​IMG]

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

I know I should have a QT tank, but I don't LOL

3. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

Most people dont. But especially when you have say a tank with expensive breeder discus, it is not something i would be without. Just one diseased fish can wipe you out.

4. CarpCharacin

The discus are going to be in their own 40 gallon.

5. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

If you are like most people you will always see just one more fish you simply must have, that is when the QT tank would really be a good fit.

6. CarpCharacin

I am going to dedicate one 40 gallon just to the breeding pair.

7. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

Good Plan ! :)