Seachem safe not working?

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I set up the 75 gallon today, after filling the tank with warm water using my Python water Changer I added a little under a quarter teaspoon of safe, but the water still smelled like chlorine, so I added some more. I added about the same amount again along with two smaller amounts on the other side of the tank. I thought a quarter teaspoon was supposed to treat 300 gallons. Now I hope I didn't add too much safe, but it still smells like chlorine, Shouldn't the chlorine smell go away after adding safe? I always add safe to my other tanks when I do water changes with my Python water changer, and it has always worked. Do you think the water just has to move around some more?

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I set up the 75 gallon today, after filling the tank with warm water using my Python water Changer I added a little under a quarter teaspoon of safe, but the water still smelled like chlorine, so I added some more. I added about the same amount again along with two smaller amounts on the other side of the tank. I thought a quarter teaspoon was supposed to treat 300 gallons. Now I hope I didn't add too much safe, but it still smells like chlorine, Shouldn't the chlorine smell go away after adding safe? I always add safe to my other tanks when I do water changes with my Python water changer, and it has always worked. Do you think the water just has to move around some more?
Do you have some prime? Maybe if you add that with the stability it would help it? Whenever I use prime I never smell the chlorine after I have added it.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
No, I just have safe. I let the tank sit overnight with the filter running, and the chlorine smell is gone. Safe is really just powdered, more concentrated prime, so I think it takes longer for it to get distributed in a tank. I think I probably should have added it while I was filling the tank so it would have gotten distributed faster, but I think it got distributed when I let the tank sit overnight. Also, I think they use a lot of chlorine in the tap water in the avenues.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I smelled the tank again, and it still has a slight chlorine smell, but I'm a little worried about adding too much safe. I might get some different water conditioner today.

Edit: I smelled the tank again, and I don't smell the chlorine smell now. I just hope that the chlorine didn't use up the activated carbon that's in the new filter.

Last edited:

Roxane1232

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
I smelled the tank again, and it still has a slight chlorine smell, but I'm a little worried about adding too much safe. I might get some different water conditioner today.

Edit: I smelled the tank again, and I don't smell the chlorine smell now. I just hope that the chlorine didn't use up the activated carbon that's in the new filter.
It might be that they put extra chlorine in during the run off. I have been adding some extra prime to my tanks just in case .