Switching hosts

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
We are going to be switching web hosts soon. Currently, I am using 1 dollar web hosting and we are going to be switching to a far more powerful VPS. It could happen today or tomorrow, but I will make sure to give notice before it happens. The site shouldn't be down for too long.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Why do you need VPS at the moment? Just curious, unless your expecting a huge influx of users i guess.......

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I got a cheap shared hosting account, i made sure mine was in the USA. I did this as i am in the UK, the thinking behind it being when your all asleep there, we are awake in the UK. So this way i get cheap but fast hosting, have you thought about using a UK host for the same reason I use a USA one?

I did have a cheap VPS account for a while but didnt gain much speed wise, this is kind of why i tried the swap over. I only use our account for emails mainly, that and a test site acting as a cloud for work etc.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Why did you get a US hosting account? I am going to be switching to a Linode VPS with 2gb of ram.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Well i am in the UK, so the site was mainly for UK people. The idea behind it was to use a server thats in a country with a different time zone, that way when the server is normally busy your users are not awake, and when its normally quiet your users are on. That way you can get cheaper hosting and half decent speed.

If i Use a UK server for a UK site i have alot of traffic on the main network/internet when i least want it.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I am going to get a VPS, so I will have a certain amount of resources allocated to my site.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
The forum is going to be down for the transfer soon. I will send out an alert right before.

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I sent out an alert, but it may take a while longer before I move hosts because of the domain.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
We are back online! The domain isn't transferred yet, but the site is on the new host. The domain transfer can take up to a few days.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
The site may go down for a short period of time when the domain transfer is completes, but we are on the new VPS :D

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
The domain transfer is complete. There was some downtime while I was setting up the DNS and while it was propagating.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
Some new members may not be getting site emails. If you need your account activated, send me an email. This should be fixed soon.