Rift Lake Tankmate Recommendations

• Admin

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I have three male electric blue haps and some plecos in a 40 gallon breeder tank. People have told me and I have read in a lot of places that I need tank mates to spread out the aggression of the fish. I am planning on getting a 75 gallon tank at the petco dollar per gallon sale since the haps are getting too big for ther 40. I am not planning on breeding them, so I want to keep it an all male tank. Should I just get some different kinds of haps once I have the 75?

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a bad idea. I know that for a lot of cichlids ( African mostly ) to spread aggression you just add more of them to the tank. A lot more.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I read 4 females for each male, so that would be 12 females, but I want to do a male only tank since I am not breeding them. The males get larger than the females. I read that they can get up to 8 inches.

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Haps are probably some of the lesser aggressive of the cichlid family. and your only issue is, With 3 males you may see some, but one will become the dominant and become a beautiful fish, the others will become sub-dominant and turn out less attractive with the dominant male always letting them know who is boss.

With no females in the tank, there will be no competition there, so just some distinct areas provided by you via say rocks driftwood etc. placed in the middle and at both ends of the tank may be sufficient to allow for them to establish their territories, and defuse any drastic fighting, unless one ventures into someone elses hood. :)

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Do trial and error, with less aggressive fish it's okay but NOT with the mean ones like Flowerhorns... I had some Flowerhorns once...

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Ah you make it sound like they were created in a lab, just selective breeding man. Could just as easily happen in the wild. I personally don't enjoy Flowerhorns anyway.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
I would like to keep it an electric blue only tank, or at least a Lake Malawi cichlid tank. Aren't flowerhorns some kind of hybrid?
Flowerhorns are more than just a Hybrid, they were bred with so many different species that no one even knows how they were made. It's ridiculous.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Yesss........ But VERY aggressive, like they grow these sharp little teeth and they seriously do some damage. I've never seen them hurt before. Like, they're by far the most aggressive fish I've had.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
They never really tried. Even though they are the most aggressive I've had, I make sure I'm not one of those owners who lets their fish be THAT aggressive. :confused:

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
You're making it sound like crazy lol. There are tons of different things that provoke and simmer down aggression.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
If I only come to my tank to feed them and never do anything else they'll want to bite and snap at everything that enters the tank. If I grow them alone they won't be used to other fish and kill anything that enters.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
So I called petco and they don't have any 75s in stock :(. I guess the haps are going to have to stay in the 40 for a bit longer. I may get a tank for either female bettas, or a frontosa since somebody on KSL has frontosa fry.

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
A single frontosa will need a tank of at least 70 gal. when mature, and good, regular, tank maintenance.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I know, I am going to see if the other petco has 75s and if they do, I will get one and order a titan eze metal stand. I will put the haps in the first tank and I will get a second tank at the next sale for a frontosa and that way I will be able to use the stand for both tanks. I am thinking about using my empty 20 gallon for female bettas.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I called around to the other petcos in utah and none of them ad 75s in stock. What fish should I put in with the haps to spread out the aggression? @Anders247, someone told me that if I keep multiple males together, only a few of them will show their full colors.

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
That is correct, especially if there is a female in the tank. 1 male will become dominant, the others sub-dominant. But thats one way to get a beautiful male, Ive done that many times then sold off the others.

Aquatic Endeavors

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
No right now none of the males have a reason to become dominant, without a female there is no reason to dress up.
If you want a great lookin male add a female, one of the males will become dominant.

When you are trying to get a breeding pair of fish you buy at least 6, hoping at least one is a female and you get a breeding pair, which is the female and the most dominant male, then dispose of the rest, or move the remaining males into a different tank and another male will become dominant, etc. etc.

You will never get all dominant males in the same tank, no matter how many females you add.