That time of year!

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
So what prep have you done for the winter for your pond?

In my larger ones (>1 acre) I do nothing at all, these are semi natural in as much as they were dug out but after stocking initially they have been left to nature pretty much.

On the much much smaller two i have cleaned out most the plant material that will die off over winter and covered them with insulation material. All fish <2" have been housed in aquariums inside an outbuilding and the water is kept above 60f, these fish will be fed reguarly and the water changed etc.

What preps have you done?

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
This is the first winter fr my pond, but I still have to install the UV and the riming pot because the water is green and the pump gets pulgged up. The pond is only around 1500 gallons. What should I do?

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
Ask yourself a couple of questions, does my filter remove particles as small as algae cells? ANS---NO because my water is green if it did then it wouldnt be.

If the filter dosnt remove algae cells then what happens when i kill the algae with a UV light? ANS--- The dead Algae stays in the water column

What does dead algae form when it breaks down? ANS---- Ammonia as its part of the nitrogen cycle.

Does my filter handle the nitrogen cycle and is it good enough to handle a peak in Ammonia? ANS---Clearly not or you wouldnt have a battle with Algae.

If my filter cant handle the load at the moment, what will happen when i push it harder? ANS-----I will come ????? on here.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.