The fish shed log

Discussion in 'DIY' started by CarpCharacin, Aug 11, 2016.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

We are going to get some supplies to start building the fish shed. My plan is to have four 40 breeders, a plywood stingray tank, a tank for a frontosa colony and a 55 gallon electric blue hap tank. I have all of the 40s and the 55. I am super excited about this. I plan to get a breeding pair of discus once the shed is built.

2. CarpCharacin

I marked out the dimensions with stakes. It will be 8'x10'. Going to get blocks to build it on soon.

3. Angelphish

Angelphish Bolivian ram Well-known Member

Georgia
    Not going to have a lot of room after the 8 x 6 x 3 build.

4. CarpCharacin

It is going to be 6'x4'x2'.

5. Angelphish

Georgia
    That's still not a lot of room left over. That's nearly 1/3 of your space in the shed.

6. CarpCharacin

I am actually making it 8'x12' and i am making my plywood tank 3 ft back instead of 4 ft.

7. Angelphish

Georgia
    Keep the tank a 4ft and make the shed 10ft.

8. CarpCharacin

I am making the shed 12 feet. I am not going to be having a 125 in the tank, even though I wanted one. Just the ray tank, four 40s and a 55. I am also going to be making a barn roof so I can have a loft for storage.

9. CarpCharacin

Tomorrow I am getting blocks. I am using what are called pier blocks to build the shed on. They have a place for the wood framing to fir in. I am going to get 16 of them tomorrow.

10. CarpCharacin

I couldn't get blocks today. I am going to be getting them soon.

11. Fish

Fish German blue ram Fish guru

If my Discus start breeding before this is done, I could hook you up with some of the best Discus that come out my batch. Probably like really cheap too. Since you know we're cool.

12. Fish

And I think I might do this, except more of a renovation of my current shed. It's a pretty good idea.

13. CarpCharacin

If I have a place to put them, I might want some. I am going to start breeding discus myself. I have 2 more 40s that I got at the petco dollar per gallon sale just recently, and once I get a breeding pair I will keep the pair in the top tank and raise the fry in the bottom tank.
    If your shed isn't insulated, you may want to insulate your shed before you start putting tanks in it. I am going to insulate my shed with fiberglass, so hopefully the tanks will heat the shed in the winter but I am still going to have an electric oil radiator or 2 out there to keep it warm in the winter if the tanks aren't enough.

14. Fish

Did you forget that I live in Louisiana? Our Winters don't get cold at all. All I will need is a fan in the shed to keep it kinda cool and I could set up my tanks normally with no problems.

15. CarpCharacin

So it doesn't snow? I am going to use an evaporative cooler to cool my shed in the summer. It will fry my fish if I don't.

16. Fish

It hasn't snowed here in years. It does get somewhat cold, but my shed is always so hot that it doesn't affect much.

17. CarpCharacin

The winter of 2014-15 is warm here, but the last winter was very cold. It gets up above 100 in the summers here and it is very dry.

18. Fish

It also gets very hot, but not that hot, just extremely Humid. The coldest it'll probably get in my shed is like 50-60 maybe?

Fahrenheit by the way.

19. CarpCharacin

It will get down to like 15 degrees fahrenheit in the shed if I don't heat it. I am going to use an evaporative cooler that makes the air more humid and that cools it. It has a shredded wood pad that it pumps water over and then pulls air through into the shed. It will keep the shed cool in the summer.

20. CarpCharacin

I still haven't gotten blocks. I am probably going to use concrete instead because it would be very hard to level a buch of pier blocks.

21. CarpCharacin

Not much progress on the fish shed. I have been busy lately.

22. CarpCharacin

I have decided not to build the fish shed at least for the time being. I am going to set up the 40s inside the house.

23. CarpCharacin

Now that I am going to breed Vieja synspila, I am starting to seriously reconsider building the shed. In it, I plan to have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank with a 75 gallon stock tank to act as a sump, and two 40 gallon breeders. How big do you think I should make the shed @Angelphish ? I MAY be able to work in it this weekend if I'm lucky.

24. Angelphish

Georgia
    Maybe 15x15 to give you a good amount of walking space. If you can look for deals on craigslist. You may be able to find a 300 for $500 or less, and a 75g for even less. I bought the 75 I used for a sump off craigslist for $25. You could probably find just as good of a deal on craigslist if you look hard enough.

Try to breed Hoplarchus Psittacus instead of Vieja Synspilum. They sell for more, and are a lot rarer. If you were to breed them, you would likely be the only person your lfs could buy them from locally. Fry could sell for $30-50 at 3".

25. CarpCharacin

I measured and I have just enough space for 10x10. Would that work?

26. Angelphish

Georgia
    It should, but it would be a bit tight.

27. Angelphish

Georgia
    @CarpCharacin Are you going to try to breed Hoplarchus Psittacus or do you plan to stick with Vieja Synspilum?

28. CarpCharacin

I haven't decided, but I'll try to find a breeding pair of Hoplarchus psittacus once the shed is build. If I can't, I'll stick with vieja synspilum.

29. Angelphish

Georgia
    If you can't find a pair of Hoplarchus (which you likely won't be able to), you could buy 6 and sell the others once a pair forms.

30. CarpCharacin

But I get attached to my fish, I wouldn't want to sell the others :p.

31. Angelphish

Georgia
    You're almost guaranteed to one pair from six fish, but you could get lucky and have two or possibly even three. If you do get 2-3 pairs, you could dived the 300 so it could hold 2 pairs, and put the other 2 fish in a 180.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  32. CarpCharacin

I have researched Hoplarchus psittacus, and most sites say it's difficult to get them to spawn.

33. Angelphish

Georgia
    You may want to try oscura heterospila then. Should be easier to breed with just as big of a demand.

34. CarpCharacin

There is hardly any information about that species available. Remember, I have never bred cichlids before. I don't want to breed something that's super rare, or super hard to breed.

35. Angelphish

Georgia
    Then you don't make super good profit.

36. CarpCharacin

By super rare, I mean something that has literally no information about it. I do NOT want to breed a fish that rare. I like vieja synspila, would I make profit breeding those. I may or may not be moving, so I am going to hold of building the shed for a little while.

37. Angelphish

Georgia
    There's plenty of info on Oscura Heterospila. Stiphodon Annieae is a fish with no info. There's a big difference between the two when you google them.

Another option would be a rare species of vieja. Synspilum are the most common, and care for the other species is identical.

38. CarpCharacin

I can't find any articles on caring for or breeding Oscura Heterospila.

39. CarpCharacin

So what is a fish I could breed that has information on it?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  40. Angelphish

Georgia
    Look for fish you would like to breed on tangledupincichlids. If you find a species you like, you can order it from that site.