Web pages and calculators

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Professor_fish, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Professor_fish

Professor_fish German blue ram Fish guru

Anyone around here any good at adding aquarium calculators to web pages? I have some spread sheets i did a long time ago, they are mostly different parameter calculators i use. Most of them you wont find already online, i was thinking they might make good web pages for people to input values, rather than download and use a spread sheet.

My web skills are not upto that, I can program micro controllers in C etc, but web stuff isnt something i have done much of.

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

I could add calculators, if you have the code. I already have an aquarium volume calculator.

3. Professor_fish

I have the formulas, not the code......I guess i could have a shot at java for it and pass you that.

4. CarpCharacin

Sure, that could work. I could just put the code in a page node and that should work.

5. Ozzy47

Ozzy47 German blue ram Fish guru

Send me a basic one and I can look into the feasibility of doing it in my spare time.

6. CarpCharacin

I could try doing one. I could base it off of my existing volume calculator.

7. CarpCharacin

I have added a special category for calculators right under the fishkeeping category.

8. Ozzy47

Don't you think that is a bit premature?

9. CarpCharacin

I already have one calculator.

10. Ozzy47

And that was fine where it was for now. ;)

11. CarpCharacin

I had been planning to separate it for a while.

12. Ozzy47

Alrighty then.

13. Professor_fish

Might be easier to 'grab' code from sites, most the formula's are the same. So as long as you alter the style of it then i dont see a problem.

Looking at some of the code (java isnt my thing), the actual calculations are the same on most sites (as you would expect).

From that you could do your own style, then all i need to do is supply you the maths for the various calculations.

14. CarpCharacin

I can insert code into a XenForo page so it shows up. I have an aquarium volume calculator that could be modified.
    Here is the code for that:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var result = 0;
    var roundLength = 2;
      function computeGallons()
    {
        result = Math.round((document.frmMain.TankLength.value * document.frmMain.TankWidth.value * document.frmMain.TankHeight.value / 231)*100)/100;
        document.frmMain.USGallons.value = Math.round(result*100)/100;
    }
    </script>
    <form name="frmMain"><span class="b">Aquarium Calculator: Calculate Rectangle Fish Tank Volume in Gallons Based on Tank Size</span><p>

Fish Tank Length in Inches:<br />
            <input type="text" name="TankLength" onkeyup="computeGallons()"><br />
            <br />
            Fish Tank Width in Inches:<br />
            <input type="text" name="TankWidth" onkeyup="computeGallons()"><br />
            <br />
            Fish Tank Height in Inches:<br />
            <input type="text" name="TankHeight" onkeyup="computeGallons()"><br />
            <br />
            Aquarium Size is<br />
            <input type="text" name="USGallons" style="border: none; background: #D8EFFF; padding: 12px; width: 10em; font-size: 18px;" readonly> US Gallons<br />
            <br />

</form>

15. Professor_fish

When i get a chance i will grab some page sources then, i will also look at the formula on my spread sheet. You wont want alot of the calculations, they are mainly for mixing ferts ect based upon titration results.

16. CarpCharacin

I don't want to copy stuff of of other people's websites. Couldn't I get sued?

17. Professor_fish

No your not copying!! you can use your own styling and simply copy the calculation code, you cant get sued for that. Look at it this way...............

If you did a calculator for working out the diameter of a circle, how many formula are there for doing it? My point being all calculators online will use the same base code (because the formula has to be the same,like say for the volume of a cube), all you do it not copy the style. So make the boxs a different space from each-other or position and color, it also means you can keep a site style for all calculators.

18. CarpCharacin

I won't need to do my own styling. I would just insert the calculator into a page node. Sure there is only one forumula, but there are different scripts.

19. CarpCharacin

@Professor_fish give me the formulas and I will see if I can write a script.

20. Professor_fish

I am trying to write the scripts now, I started a page on a server, the being if i can get them working then you can copy them. I will then delete the page, what i didnt factor in was excel does some maths that normal scripts cant (not easily).

So i am rewriting some of the formulas, they will be longer but in terms of 'maths' easier to code.

21. CarpCharacin

Thank you. Once you are done, click the plus icon next to the video icon in the editor and select code and paste the script in there and then click insert.

22. Professor_fish

Ok i will do, i know wish i hadnt used so many built in excel functions!! l0l

23. CarpCharacin

Once you are done with the scripts, just put the scrips into code boxes and then I can add them to a page.

24. CarpCharacin

What formulas are they going to calculate?

25. CarpCharacin

26. CarpCharacin

27. Professor_fish

James i havnt had chance to work on them, i spend alot of time answering your questions and working both at work and on my site.....

28. CarpCharacin

My questions don't take a lot of time to answer....