What Do You Think ??

Discussion in 'Aquatic Health/Diseases' started by Cranky Old Fishkeeper, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

Cranky Old Fishkeeper Neon tetra Member

What do you think is the most prevalent killer of all freshwater aquarium fishes ?

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio Administrator Fish mentor

Goldfish bowls

3. Cranky Old Fishkeeper

Cranky Old Fishkeeper Neon tetra Member

I agree, but what i was referring to is a disease.

4. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio Administrator Fish mentor

Probably ich. It is common, but I'm sure many beginners don't know how to treat it.

5. Professor_fish

Professor_fish German blue ram Fish guru

After 40 years as professional and 50 years of keeping tropicals, the following are the biggest killers by far.

1)Adding chemicals to your aquarium to 'cure' a disease, this is mainly because of the blind faith placed in companies who make medications for fish keepers. Most meds should be used in quarantine tanks or as baths only. Common sense tells you if its designed to kill microbes then it isnt going to help your filter.

2) Doing something.........More fish die because people do something than have ever died because the keeper did nothing and watched. Reacting to a few white spots is a recipe for things going wrong.

And the biggest killer of all is poor water quality, just about most problems can be traced back to water quality.