What is causing ghost shrimp to die?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Health/Diseases' started by CarpCharacin, Jan 19, 2017.

1. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Rainbow cichlid Administrator Fish mentor

I got 8 ghost shrimp yesterday for my betta tank. One was dead by the time I got it home. I just noticed today that 3 more have died. The rest appear to be doing fine. What do you think is causing them to die?

2. Fish

Fish German blue ram Fish guru

Hmm. Not sure, look into different topics about Shrimp Deaths and see if any could relate, it sounds like one of those more random, hard-to-find reasons.

3. CarpCharacin

I kind of suspect that it was something from the fish store that is causing it since one died in the bag before I got them home.

4. CarpCharacin

I found 2 more shrimp dead and one looked like it had been attacked or something. The (alive) shrimp are in the back around the filter. Do you think that it could be the betta attacking and killing them @Fish?

5. CarpCharacin

Even though I haven't seen the betta going after them, I am starting to really think that it is the betta going after them.

6. Professor_fish

Professor_fish German blue ram Fish guru

carp get in touch with me, i have a deal you might be interested in. Shrimp like really clean water, hence why they die in bags

7. CarpCharacin

I did a water change on the tank right before I got the betta and I got the shrimp a day later, so the water is clean. I have a cycled air powered filter in the tank.

8. CarpCharacin

No more have died, so far so good.

9. Fish

I don't know a lot about Bettas or shrimp, because I like bigger fish more, but I definitely know that fish that are known to be peaceful can be aggressive.

10. CarpCharacin

I used to keep my old betta in a 10 gallon tank with tetras and they got along just fine, but the tank was cheap and it cracked so I moved them into two 2.5 gallon tanks. My old betta wasn't that aggressive, but this new betta is younger and more aggressive.

11. Fish

Well another contributing factor is that there are no other fish, when a fish is alone but is a peaceful fish, it becomes a mean and very territorial fish. It starts to think it owns the tank and doesn't let anyone join in.

12. CarpCharacin

I only see 3 shrimp left in the tank, but I haven't found any more dead.

13. Fish

I suggest reorganizing the decor in the tank, it resets territories. The betta will be confused. Try to make more hiding spots for shrimp. They love hiding spots.

14. CarpCharacin

I don't really have that much decor. I have my sponge filter and then I have some of that lucky bamboo in the tank. I don't have gravel, it is a bare bottom tank.

15. Fish

Maybe the shrimp are dying from stress? Shrimp NEED hiding spots. A bare bottom tank wouldn't be the best for them.

16. CarpCharacin

They can go behind and under the filter and they can also hide in the lucky bamboo roots. I will get some decorations for the tank. I doubt they are dying from stress since some of the dead ones I found looked like they had been attacked/eaten.

17. Fish

And maybe it's that. Maybe the betta is killing them, they don't seem to have many places to go.

18. CarpCharacin

What kind of decorations do you think I should get for the tank?

19. Fish

Gravel. Some rocks. Java Moss is great for shrimp.

20. CarpCharacin

I used to have gravel in the tank, but I took it out.

21. Fish

Put it back

22. CarpCharacin

I don't know what I did with it. I may get some sand instead of gravel.

23. Fish

It'll work

24. CarpCharacin

I also have some marimo moss in the tank that the tetras are in. I may move some in with the betta.

25. Fish

Good idea.

26. CarpCharacin

Ok I added some.
    IMG_20170123_091841675_BURST001.jpg

27. CarpCharacin

A few years ago I separated the marimo moss balls and they haven't grown too much since. I didn't tie them back into a ball when I separated them.

28. Fish

Can't you add something into the tank that adds CO2?

29. CarpCharacin

I don't know, I haven't done it before. The tank is only 2.5 gallons. Was I supposed to tie the moss balls back into a ball when I separated them, or does it not matter?

30. Fish

I'm... not sure.

31. CarpCharacin

What about the co2?

32. Fish

It helps grow the plants. Maybe add some artificial light.

33. CarpCharacin

I know. Is API co2 booster any good?
    I have an LED light on the tank.

34. Fish

Again. Not sure I've actually never had any tanks like that. I just know a lot.

35. Professor_fish

2 ltr coke bottle, bakers yeast. mix 1 ltr water in a separate bottle and add 4 teaspoons of sugar. Get an eye dropper and add small drops of the sugar water every other day to the coke bottle with yeast in.
    Screw lid on glue a air line connector into the lid, run airline from that to an airstone and into the tank.

Dont get impatient, add 2 drops and wait, in a day or some you will notice a bit of froth in the large coke bottle, dont worry if you dont see CO2 coming out the Airstone, you want tiny amount regularly, it dissolves in water real easy.

Only add 2 more drops of sugar a day or so after the froth looks too dying down. the bottle should last you months and months.

36. Professor_fish

Keep an eye on the PH, dont drop it fast. Also do a Gh test and a ph test. from that i can give you the correct ph range to aim for to get the right amount of CO2, but your going to need added light, and once it starts to work your going to need ferts............ALOT of ferts.

37. Fish

There you go. Explained it better than I could.