What is causing ghost shrimp to die?

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Hmm. Not sure, look into different topics about Shrimp Deaths and see if any could relate, it sounds like one of those more random, hard-to-find reasons.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
carp get in touch with me, i have a deal you might be interested in. Shrimp like really clean water, hence why they die in bags

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I don't know a lot about Bettas or shrimp, because I like bigger fish more, but I definitely know that fish that are known to be peaceful can be aggressive.

Thread starter #10

CarpCharacin

Philosophical Aquarist
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
I used to keep my old betta in a 10 gallon tank with tetras and they got along just fine, but the tank was cheap and it cracked so I moved them into two 2.5 gallon tanks. My old betta wasn't that aggressive, but this new betta is younger and more aggressive.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Well another contributing factor is that there are no other fish, when a fish is alone but is a peaceful fish, it becomes a mean and very territorial fish. It starts to think it owns the tank and doesn't let anyone join in.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
I suggest reorganizing the decor in the tank, it resets territories. The betta will be confused. Try to make more hiding spots for shrimp. They love hiding spots.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Maybe the shrimp are dying from stress? Shrimp NEED hiding spots. A bare bottom tank wouldn't be the best for them.

Thread starter #16

CarpCharacin

Philosophical Aquarist
Administrator
Fish mentor
Ratings
They can go behind and under the filter and they can also hide in the lucky bamboo roots. I will get some decorations for the tank. I doubt they are dying from stress since some of the dead ones I found looked like they had been attacked/eaten.

Fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
And maybe it's that. Maybe the betta is killing them, they don't seem to have many places to go.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
2 ltr coke bottle, bakers yeast. mix 1 ltr water in a separate bottle and add 4 teaspoons of sugar. Get an eye dropper and add small drops of the sugar water every other day to the coke bottle with yeast in.
Screw lid on glue a air line connector into the lid, run airline from that to an airstone and into the tank.

Dont get impatient, add 2 drops and wait, in a day or some you will notice a bit of froth in the large coke bottle, dont worry if you dont see CO2 coming out the Airstone, you want tiny amount regularly, it dissolves in water real easy.

Only add 2 more drops of sugar a day or so after the froth looks too dying down. the bottle should last you months and months.

Professor_fish

German blue ram
Fish guru
Ratings
Keep an eye on the PH, dont drop it fast. Also do a Gh test and a ph test. from that i can give you the correct ph range to aim for to get the right amount of CO2, but your going to need added light, and once it starts to work your going to need ferts............ALOT of ferts.