Your thoughts please

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
So a while back i bought a Silver Arowana fish as a baby.... He is in a 150 gallon long tank currently. But i am afraid he is going to outgrow that tank. Anyway, i have been walking with a plan the past year of getting me a 3 meter long tank. So when i bought this fish i knew it was going to push me to go through with it. (gonna be a 300 gallon tank)

So, i have 2 other dream fish along with the Arowana that i already bought now, they are a
Jaguar Cichlid and a Dovi (AKA Wolf Cichlid)

So i have seen tons of videos of those 3 living together along with Jack Dempseys and Oscars.

But, i am in doubt, will it be a good idea putting 3 of these fish in together in a 300 gallon? Will that be sufficient space for them as the Arowana need tons of space and those 2 cichlids are very teritorial and aggressive?

Protim Sarkar

German blue ram
Fish guru
Reaction score
300 gallon would be an amazing tank !
Personally, I will keep Arowana with a Senegal Bichir and some other cichlids-Green Terror/Jack Dempsey.
Dovi and Jaguar are very aggresive. They might not work with Arowana.

CarpCharacin

Site Owner
Administrator
Fish mentor
Reaction score
I agree with Protim, those two cichlids, especially the Dovii are very aggressive. Are you going to be building or buying the 300 gallon tank? You could save some money if you build it yourself. I plan to build a 200-300 gallon plywood aquarium eventually.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Anything kept with a dovii will become its equivalent of a shredded dog toy.

A jag may work, but it depends on the fish. The odds are against you, as most will be or become aggressive. Even if you find a peaceful one, there's still the chance of it snapping one day and killing everything it sees. I wouldn't recommend it.

I did the math on your tank, and the most logical dimensions for it are 118 x 24 x 24, assuming you make it 3 meters long and 300 gallons like you mentioned earlier. Arowana don't just need length, but they also need width. They like to swim along the perimeter of the tank, and they can't turn around in a tank that's too narrow. 84 x 36 x 24 are better dimensions for Arowana.

Look into Vieja instead of Parachromis. They are much calmer and more colorful, while still reaching similar sizes as Parachromis. Most large cichlids should work, just try to stick to more peaceful species.

More Polypterus is an option, or if you're feeling ambitious you could install a drip system and keep rays, although they shouldn't be kept together with Polypterus. Cichla, Gar, large Catfish, Datnoid, Pike, and Knives are other popular options.

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Thanks.... I will rather than not put my Arowana at risk then and will look into another tank in a couple of years with those 2 cichlids in then.

@CarpCharacin -I am not sure yet.... I have a aqua shop who sold me a 214 gallon a while back for like 5500 N$ (like 400 US$ lol) which i find was pretty cheap.... So i am waiting on quotations from him and then i am working on material pricing for a stand i will then build for the tank.
But, will it be possible that we can maybe start up a new post on how to build a tank out of plywood? I am hearing more often these days on people doing that, its just i don't really have an idea on how to do that.... lol.

@Angelphish - You are right, the dimensions i am getting a quote on is 118 x 24 x 24 :)
BUT........ After the suggestion you gave me i think i will rather go with that (84 x 36 x 24) It pointed my mind in a hole new direction.... I will give in those measurements on a quote too and see what that guy tells me. I also LOVE most of the fish you suggested to join the Arowana in his soon to be new tank.

So what i also had in mind was more of a non cichlid community tank.... Not sure if the fish i have in mind will work with the Arowana...... They are the following:

a school of 6-10 Balla Sharks
a school of 3-5 Red Finned Cigar Sharks
a school of 6-10 Silver Dollars
a school of 6-10 Featherfinned Synodontis catfishes
and then live plants.... lots of live plants....

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Thanks.... I will rather than not put my Arowana at risk then and will look into another tank in a couple of years with those 2 cichlids in then.

@CarpCharacin -I am not sure yet.... I have a aqua shop who sold me a 214 gallon a while back for like 5500 N$ (like 400 US$ lol) which i find was pretty cheap.... So i am waiting on quotations from him and then i am working on material pricing for a stand i will then build for the tank.
But, will it be possible that we can maybe start up a new post on how to build a tank out of plywood? I am hearing more often these days on people doing that, its just i don't really have an idea on how to do that.... lol.

@Angelphish - You are right, the dimensions i am getting a quote on is 118 x 24 x 24 :)
BUT........ After the suggestion you gave me i think i will rather go with that (84 x 36 x 24) It pointed my mind in a hole new direction.... I will give in those measurements on a quote too and see what that guy tells me. I also LOVE most of the fish you suggested to join the Arowana in his soon to be new tank.

So what i also had in mind was more of a non cichlid community tank.... Not sure if the fish i have in mind will work with the Arowana...... They are the following:

a school of 6-10 Balla Sharks
a school of 3-5 Red Finned Cigar Sharks
a school of 6-10 Silver Dollars
a school of 6-10 Featherfinned Synodontis catfishes
and then live plants.... lots of live plants....
I don't imagine that being a very exiting tank, but that stock would work.

How about this instead? I know you said non-cichlid community, but once you research these fish you'll have to get them:

1 Aro (the one you currently have)
2 Vieja Synspilum (a must have if you do viejas)
1 Vieja Zonatus
1 Vieja Bifasciatus
1 Hoplarchus Psittacus
1 Oscura Heterospila
1 Papyrocranus Afer
5 assorted Polypterus (ornatipinnis and teugelsi are a must have)

If you don't like Polypterus, a Fire eel or two would also work.

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Ok.... It was just a thought that had me wondered if those kinds of fish would have worked together, but its good to know now.... But i also don't think i would do those schooly boring types of fish.

Synspilum I had way back in my 214 gallon.... And i loved him very much! But my Oscar (who lives alone now) unforgently killed him....
I also had 2 Hoplarchus Psittacus but rehomed him to a more peaceful tank... But i don't like those creatures too much...

So.... I did my research and you were right! Fish i will definitly consider is:
Vieja Synspilum
Vieja Zonatus
Vieja Bifasciatus
Oscura Heterospila
Polypterus (ornatipinnis and teugelsi)
I never even knew about there existances! I have 2 Polypterus Sengegalus and absolutely love those 2 guys!
so this 2 you mentioned i am most definitly gonna try and get! I almost fell of my chair when i saw those pictures!

And my ULTIMATE FAVOURITE of your list ofcourse...... is the
PAPYROCRANUS AFER!!!! Again i almost fell of my chair when i opened there link! And they are haunting me now lol even set it as my wall paper!

Also i browsed general cichlids on google to see what else is out there and i came across one of the most beautiful cichlids that i have ever seen.... Don't know what it is so i am going to upload a image that i have saved from Google cause it is definitly cichlids that i will consider buying in the future....

Here they are: Hope you can help me get an ID on them?
8a64733b3e1cb26366822709120068bb.jpg

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Ok.... It was just a thought that had me wondered if those kinds of fish would have worked together, but its good to know now.... But i also don't think i would do those schooly boring types of fish.

Synspilum I had way back in my 214 gallon.... And i loved him very much! But my Oscar (who lives alone now) unforgently killed him....
I also had 2 Hoplarchus Psittacus but rehomed him to a more peaceful tank... But i don't like those creatures too much...

So.... I did my research and you were right! Fish i will definitly consider is:
Vieja Synspilum
Vieja Zonatus
Vieja Bifasciatus
Oscura Heterospila
Polypterus (ornatipinnis and teugelsi)
I never even knew about there existances! I have 2 Polypterus Sengegalus and absolutely love those 2 guys!
so this 2 you mentioned i am most definitly gonna try and get! I almost fell of my chair when i saw those pictures!

And my ULTIMATE FAVOURITE of your list ofcourse...... is the
PAPYROCRANUS AFER!!!! Again i almost fell of my chair when i opened there link! And they are haunting me now lol even set it as my wall paper!

Also i browsed general cichlids on google to see what else is out there and i came across one of the most beautiful cichlids that i have ever seen.... Don't know what it is so i am going to upload a image that i have saved from Google cause it is definitly cichlids that i will consider buying in the future....

Here they are: Hope you can help me get an ID on them?
View attachment 1024
I forgot to mention earlier, afers do best in groups of 3+. If only one is kept there's a chance of them killing everything they see.

This sounds bad, but they're peaceful once kept in a group, as they keep the aggression within the group. Although you should do more research, as there may be info I missed.

The cichlid you're wondering about is a polleni. They're a quite popular African cichlid among the large fish keeping community. I wouldn't recommend mixing it with SA/CA though.

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Good to know, thank you.. i surely will be doing tons of research on all these fish.... :)

Oh ok.... Nah i dont do African cichlids.... i dont like them that much. Too bad its african otherwise i definitly would have got them if they were SA/CA.... they really are beautiful!

Thanks alot for all your input and info! Really are helpful!

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Good to know, thank you.. i surely will be doing tons of research on all these fish.... :)

Oh ok.... Nah i dont do African cichlids.... i dont like them that much. Too bad its african otherwise i definitly would have got them if they were SA/CA.... they really are beautiful!

Thanks alot for all your input and info! Really are helpful!
One more thing I forgot to mention -- Both the Ornatipinnis and Teugelsi can push 2 feet once fully grown, and they also grow quite fast, roughly 1" each month. Senegalus only reach 8-10", and grow very slowly, about 2-3 inches a year. Because of the differences in size and growth, they shouldn't be kept together. If they are kept together, eventually the Ornatipinnis or Teugelsi would outgrow the sens and eat them. I think the 150 would make a great small polypterus community (senegalus, delhezi, polli, etc...).

If you're stilling looking into a couple more fish, look at fugupuff's stock list on MFK. He recently posted his newest stock list, and he has some top notch afers in stock.

He specializes in large, rare, and oddball fish, so you won't find anything on his stock lists that doesn't fit in at least one of these categories. He's also more concerned with the health of the fish he sells and customer satisfaction. He interacts with you as another hobbiest, not a customer. He'll even give suggestions on which fish you may be interested in, or whether the fish you're looking at is compatible with your current stock. I'm sorry, but I can't say enough good about him.

I bought my Gymnotus sp. and my 2 Aegla sp. (platensis?) from him. Both are quite rare, and interesting to keep. A benefit to keeping rare fish is that a few of the behaviors you experience might be firsts, or you could at least be the first to document them.

This happened to me with my Aeglas. They're so rare that when they recently molted and I posted pics to MFK, I was the first person to document molting with pictures.

I just realized that you're in Africa, but since fugupuff gets most of his fish from other countries, I'm sure he could work something out with you if you're determined to have a certain fish.

Last edited:

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Wanted to reply Thursday already but just cant get to it at work and at home we do not have good internet access so i cant really log on there. sucks.
anyway,

I like the idea of a 150g Polypterus tank.... They are lovely fish.

So i contacted all our stores here with those names and they cannot get me any of the Polypterus fishes except the Senegalus which i already have. They also cant get me the Afer's. Quite upset about that so now i must make another plan. I will certainly contact MFK and get all his neccessary info and then head out to register a petshop in my name in order to apply for permits to import fish. That is the only way i will be getting those Afer's and i cant stop thinking about them so get i will get them! lol.

I like your Aeglas! (I googled them lol) But i think they are better kept alone with peacefull fish, right? (did not research them much) I used to keep Australian Red Clawed Crays. Had one which got almost 15 inch without his attenas. Quite amazing how they molt.

Do you perhaps have email or a link or something where i will be able to reach MFK/Fugupuff?

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Wanted to reply Thursday already but just cant get to it at work and at home we do not have good internet access so i cant really log on there. sucks.
anyway,

I like the idea of a 150g Polypterus tank.... They are lovely fish.

So i contacted all our stores here with those names and they cannot get me any of the Polypterus fishes except the Senegalus which i already have. They also cant get me the Afer's. Quite upset about that so now i must make another plan. I will certainly contact MFK and get all his neccessary info and then head out to register a petshop in my name in order to apply for permits to import fish. That is the only way i will be getting those Afer's and i cant stop thinking about them so get i will get them! lol.

I like your Aeglas! (I googled them lol) But i think they are better kept alone with peacefull fish, right? (did not research them much) I used to keep Australian Red Clawed Crays. Had one which got almost 15 inch without his attenas. Quite amazing how they molt.

Do you perhaps have email or a link or something where i will be able to reach MFK/Fugupuff?
The aeglas can be kept with anything as long as it won't try to harm the Aegla.

You can email fugupuff's email is amazonaq@gmail.com. Even if you can't buy from him directly, I'm sure you can work something out.

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Okay.... Good to know.... Thanks alot for all your advice & input and this email adress... I am gonna get my tank stuff ready and then i will contact the guy when my setup is fish ready....

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Okay.... Good to know.... Thanks alot for all your advice & input and this email adress... I am gonna get my tank stuff ready and then i will contact the guy when my setup is fish ready....
Updates?

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply.... Had a little bike incident and am running around trying to get that all sorted for insurance and getting the quotes and blah blah blah blah which put my tank search to a total stop for now...

Sort of.... :)

I am on the search for 2nd hand tanks at first.... IF I find something suitable for the Arowana i will take it, if not, i will custom build me a tank....

So i found one which was almost 84 26 34 but it was cracked and left for years out in the sun.... So that would definitly be a no go....

So this morning i found another tank.... But i am unsure whether it will do for the Arowana or not....

80 by 21 by 24 inch.... a 167 Gallon tank....
200 by 52 by 63cm... a 630 Liter tank....
Volume is without the sump
It is a Sun Sun tank with a touch panel to control lights and heater, sump filtration system for N$ 6000
thats about US$ 445. I think its real cheap.

BUT will this tank be suitable for my Arowana for a lifetime? Or not?

New tanks of that size we discussed start at US$ 2000-00 (About 30 000 in N$) and up. That is without proper filtration and heaters and even a stand.... So i am busy saving up for a tank.... Have about 800 US$ already but if i can get something that will work 2ndhand for much, much cheaper i will rather do that then....

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply.... Had a little bike incident and am running around trying to get that all sorted for insurance and getting the quotes and blah blah blah blah which put my tank search to a total stop for now...

Sort of.... :)

I am on the search for 2nd hand tanks at first.... IF I find something suitable for the Arowana i will take it, if not, i will custom build me a tank....

So i found one which was almost 84 26 34 but it was cracked and left for years out in the sun.... So that would definitly be a no go....

So this morning i found another tank.... But i am unsure whether it will do for the Arowana or not....

80 by 21 by 24 inch.... a 167 Gallon tank....
200 by 52 by 63cm... a 630 Liter tank....
Volume is without the sump
It is a Sun Sun tank with a touch panel to control lights and heater, sump filtration system for N$ 6000
thats about US$ 445. I think its real cheap.

BUT will this tank be suitable for my Arowana for a lifetime? Or not?

New tanks of that size we discussed start at US$ 2000-00 (About 30 000 in N$) and up. That is without proper filtration and heaters and even a stand.... So i am busy saving up for a tank.... Have about 800 US$ already but if i can get something that will work 2ndhand for much, much cheaper i will rather do that then....
A 300 gallon is needed for an aro, mainly for the dimensions. You need a tank at least six feet long and 30 inches wide.

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Okay. Cool. I will inform the guy then that i won't be taking his tank. Guess i should forget about the idea getting hold of a secondhand tank suitable for a Arowana. Lots of 3 meters and 2.5 and 2.2 meters available but then they are 40-50cm wide. :(

I am waiting for a quote now from a glass shop.
80 by 32 by 24 high... Thats about the maximum size i can force into the room where it will need to be standing.

Angelphish

Bolivian ram
Reaction score
Okay. Cool. I will inform the guy then that i won't be taking his tank. Guess i should forget about the idea getting hold of a secondhand tank suitable for a Arowana. Lots of 3 meters and 2.5 and 2.2 meters available but then they are 40-50cm wide. :(

I am waiting for a quote now from a glass shop.
80 by 32 by 24 high... Thats about the maximum size i can force into the room where it will need to be standing.
Those dimensions are perfect for an arowana, so don't worry about getting anything larger.

The best thing you can do is be patient; save your money and buy the custom tank. You'll spend less money this way than if you bought a slightly larger tank, and then moved up to the custom. Considering the arowana is currently in a 150 gallon, you should have enough time to save for the custom tank.

As for filtration, build a sump from a 75 gallon tank. This may seem like a very intimidating project, but as long as you make everything you can DIY, it should be relatively inexpensive and it should only take a week to set up from the time you start building to when it's running on the tank. The tank you can get second hand for very cheap; I bought mine used for $25. It doesn't have to be the prettiest tank. It doesn't even have to hold water. As long as you have 5 glass panels, you can make the sump. The baffles can be made from a couple pieces of glass, or acrylic if you don't feel comfortable working with glass. Either can be bought from your local hardware store. Depending on where you buy from, the bio balls should be cheap. I bought 2000 off eBay for $50. You shouldn't cheap out on heaters. I bought 3 $15 heaters for the 210; one was bad when I received it, and a second developed a leak a couple months ago. Although expensive, Eheim Jagers are the best heaters you can get. For the custom 265 gallon tank, you need 900-1500 watts worth of heaters. More heaters just heat the water faster, so depending on how many water changes you do, more heaters may be needed. 200 micron filter socks should be the main socks ran in the sump, although you can use 100 micron filter socks a couple hours at a time every few days to keep the water extra clear. The pump should be able to cycle the entire water volume about 5-10x per hour, although you should aim as close to 10x as possible. For your tank, this would be a 2700 gph pump, or possibly even a little higher to make up for head loss. The best "budget" pump you can buy is the Jebao DCP 15000. This may seem a little pricey, but it is a "budget" pump compared to many others with similar features that start at over twice its price.

I feel terrible for not saying this earlier... I just skimmed through your post so I didn't read about your bike accident... I hate to hear that happened to you, but at least you're well enough to post on the forum. There was always a chance that it could have ended worse.

Tian

Neon tetra
Reaction score
Ive opened a savings account for my tank :) so yeah i agree with the being patience otherwise i will most probaly end up throwing my money in the water....

I never thought of a sump! Wow that will be so much cheaper! Cause my idea was 3 cannisters but thats gonna be very, very expensive....

I am making printouts of this hole thread sofar. So all this conversations i am keeping on file and highlighting the equipments and fish stock ideas etc etc etc. Want this tank to be the perfect setup and without you guys here advizing me it will not be possible. So thank you so much for all this input!

Thank you! Me and my girl managed to get away completely unhurted... but the bike was not so lucky....